Difference Between Router and Bridge in Tabular Form with working Diagram
|2.||Routers operate in the network layer of OSI Model.||Bridge operates in data link layer of OSI Model.|
|3.||The router is used to connect the LAN and WAN.||The bridge is used to connect two different LAN segments.|
|4.||The router transmits data in the form of packets.||Bridge transmit data in the form frames.|
|5.||It reads the IP Address of a device.||Bridge reads the MAC Address of a device.|
|6.||The router has more ports compare to bridge.||The bridge has only two ports.|
|7.||It uses routing table for sending data.||The bridge does not use any routing table for sending data.|
|8.||It works on more than one broadcast domain.||It works on a single broadcast domain.|
|9.||Routers use a software-configured network address to determine the address.||Bridges determine the destination address with the help of the MAC address of the device.|
|10.||It communicates with other routers to decide the best way to transfer the data.||With the help of MAC addresses of the devices, the Bridges listen to the network traffic and then decide the way to send the data.|
|11.||The router creates multiple paths to send data.||The bridge does not create multiple paths to send data.|
Benefits Advantages & Disadvantages
Benefits And Advantages of Routers
- Routers can reduce network traffic by creating collision domains and also by creating broadcast domains.
- Routers provides connection between different network architectures such as Ethernet & token ring etc.
- Routers are configurable which allows network manager to make policy based on routing decisions.
- Routers can choose best path across the inter-network using dynamic routing algorithms.
- Routers provides sophisticated routing, flow control and traffic isolation.
Drawbacks And Disadvantages of Routers
- Dynamic router communications can cause additional network overhead. This results into less bandwidth for user data.
- Routers are protocol dependent devices which must understand the protocol they are forwarding.
- Routers are slower as they need to analyze data from layer-1 through layer-3.
- Routers are require considerable amount of initial configurations.
- Routers are operate based on routable network protocols.
- Routers are expensive compare to other network devices.
Benefits or Advantages of Bridges
- Bridges creates separate collision domains. Hence it increases available bandwidth to individual nodes as fewer nodes share a collision domain.
- Some bridges connect networks having different architectures and media types.
- Bridges reduces collisions.
- Bridges helps in extension of physical network.
- Bridges reduces network traffic with minor segmentation.
Drawbacks or Disadvantages of Bridges
- Bridges is slower compare to repeaters due to filtering.
- Bridges does not filter broadcasts.
- Bridges is more expensive compare to repeaters.
Features of Router in Networking
- Routers works on more than one broadcast domain.
- Routers use the software-configured network address to determine the address.
- Routers communicate with other routers to decide the best way to transfer the data.
- The router creates multiple paths to send data.
- Routers operate in the network layer of OSI Model.
- Routers is used to connect multiple LAN and WAN.
- The router transmits data in the form of packets.
- The router uses routing table for sending data.
Features of Bridge in Networking
- Bridge has only two ports to connect two LAN segments.
- Bridge works on a single broadcast domain.
- Bridges determine the destination address with the help of the MAC address of the device.
- Bridge operates in data link layer of OSI Model.
- Bridge can used to connect two different LAN segments.
- Bridge transmit data in the form frames.
(Visited 129 times, 1 visits today)
Written by: 30/09/2018