Difference Between Circuit Switching vs Packet Switching In Tabular Form.
|Sno.||Feature||Circuit Switching||Packet Switching|
|1.||Path/Route||A path is created b/w two points by setting the Switches.||A Packet Switchig is Virtual Circuit or route is created b/w two points.|
|2.||Dedicated/Sharing||the links that make a path are dedicated and cannot be used other Connections.||In Virtual Switchig the links that make a route can be shared by other Connections.|
|3.||Store and Forward Transmission||Not used in Circuit Switching.||Bandwidth can be acquired or released as it is needed.therefore, it is Dynamic.|
|4.||Bandwidth Available||Required bandwidth is reserved in advanced.therefore it is fixed.||Each node may store incoming Packets temporarily & forward them later.|
|5.||Potentially Wasted Bandwidth||Since Bandwidth is fixed, unused bandwidth on an allocated circuit is wasted.||Unused Bandwidth may be utilized by others Packets from unreleated Source.|
|6.||Application||Telephone n/w for bidirectional.||Internet for Datagram and Reliable stream Service between Computers.|
|7.||Call Setup||Required.||Not Required.|
|8.||When can Congestion Occur||Congestion can occur at set up time.||Congestion can occur on every Packet.|
|9.||Layers used for Implementation||Circuit Switched Network is implemented at Physical Layer.||A Virtual ckt n/w is Implemented at Data Link Layer and Datagram n/w at Network layer.|
|10.||Route/Path Followed by Packets||It is always same||May or may not be same.|
Advantages of Packet Switching:
- Circuit Switching charges user on the distance and duration of connection but Packet Switching charges users only on the basis of duration of connectivity.
- All the packets not follow same route in Packet Switching but in Circuit Switching all the packets follow same rout.
- Efficient use of Network.
- Easily get around broken bits or packets.
- Packet Switching use digital network and enables digital data to be directly transmitted toward destination.
- High Data Transmission in a Packet Switching is very easy.
Disadvantages of Packet Switching:
- Requires Large amount RAM (Random Access Memory) to handle large amount of data communication in packets.
- Packets may be lost on their route, so sequence numbers are required to identify missing packets.
- Switching Nods required more procession power to reconstruct packets
- In Packet Switching Packets arriving in wrong order.
- Takes Transmission delay.
Advantages of Circuit Switching:
- Circuit Switching dedicated path/circuit established between sender and receiver provides a guaranteed data rate.
- In Circuit Switching circuit is established, data is transmitted without any delay as there is no waiting time at each switch.
- Circuit Switching is a dedicated continuous transmission path is established, the method is suitable for long continuous transmission.
Disadvantages of Circuit Switching:
- As the connection is dedicated it cannot be used to transmit any other data even if the channel is free.
- Circuit Switching is inefficient in terms of utilization of system resources. As resources are allocated for the entire duration of connection, these are not available to other connections.
- Circuit Switching having Dedicated channels which require more bandwidth.
- Prior to actual data transfer, the time required to establish a physical link between the two stations is too long.
(Visited 40 times, 1 visits today)
Written by: 17/07/2018